[image]Webp.net-resizeimage (1).jpg

Already being extremely high-risk, and having had two preterm births prior, Miracle Mum Amanda wasn't surprised the day Wyatt came into the world at 29 weeks 2 days.

Sadly, her first child was born at 32 weeks, 2 pounds 1 ounce (stillborn). And her second child was born at 31 weeks, 4 lbs 14 oz.

With baby number three Amanda recalls knowing bub was arriving well before any signs of labour had started.

“The day of Dec 1st, I had an overwhelming sense that birth was coming. Although I didn't have many tell-tale signs, it was just a strong feeling and I expressed this to my husband. We went to bed not knowing what was coming just hours later.

As usual, I woke up needing to pee at 1 am, so I wobbled to the toilet, where to my surprise, I was bleeding. I woke up my husband who immediately went into dad mode. We drove to the nearest hospital due to the nature of my symptoms, although I knew they couldn't keep us for delivery because they didn't have the facilities for a baby born this early. We still wanted to make sure we were both stable before going to our chosen hospital.

When we got there the nurses and doctors swarmed me with tests, shots of steroids and more as they prepared my emergency transfer to another hospital. I wasn't exactly sure what was wrong, all I knew was baby Wyatt had a great heart beat and I felt relatively well. Just before my transfer, they took tons of labs and sent the results with us.

After what felt like an eternity, we finally arrived at the hospital. A lot of it is a blur, as it was early in the morning, still dark, and I was exhausted. I remember my family arriving just before going to sleep for a short nap. I thought I needed rest for whatever was coming next. And besides this, I was worrying so much for the answer as to why I was bleeding.

I was awoken by a team of surgeons, who were all dressed for surgery. I was told that I was suffering from HELLP syndrome, a severe form of preeclampsia, which was causing my blood pressure to rise over 180/100, my platelets were nearly undetectable, my kidneys were slow, and I had a 50% placental abruption. The only way to save both me and baby was to have emergency surgery. Thankfully they allowed my husband to join me, as I don't know what I would've done without him there.

I remember the nurses being so sweet and loving as I cried in fear of what was to come. I had never had an operation, let alone an emergency one, and now my son's life was hanging in the balance.

Just a few short moments later Wyatt was born a tiny 2 pounds 4 ounces, and 13 inches long. He was immediately whisked away to the NICU which is the most advanced in our area. It has the finest doctors and nurses, so I knew they'd take care of him.

I was then told, it was NOW a matter of MY life or death. 

A normal platelet count shouldn't be lower than 150,000, mine was 1,200. I was severely bleeding and bruising because of this. I was turning black from my thighs to my rib cage. This meant I would need both blood and platelet transfusion. I very happily accepted.

In the meantime, Wyatt was in the NICU, strong as could be, breathing on his own. But he did require a feeding tube until he developed the sucking reflex.

I made a slow but steady recovery and was released after about 11 days in hospital. Baby Wyatt spent a long 9 weeks there. Thankfully, he stayed healthy, and required no procedures or surgeries...he was just tiny!

It took me several months to completely recover and regain my normal strength.

If you have a baby in the NICU, never give up, and fully trust in your medical staff. They are your baby’s Angels.


Thank you to Miracle Mum Amanda for sharing her story.

< back to 29 Weeks
Back to Top